• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jordanintheforum

• Altair

• Sneg84

• Aquarivs

@@Aquarivs

Yep:P They're lovely accents:P

I know, everybody says they love the BBC accent!

You live in Dublin, don't you? I lived in Blackrock three years ago:) What a lovely place:P

Edited by radioresa
Citazione intero post precedente

Really? I can't believe it! I'm living just close to Blackrock, I think, 30 min to walk!! You have to come back asap!!

Really? I can't believe it! I'm living just close to Blackrock, I think, 30 min to walk!! You have to come back asap!!

Oh my god!!!! I SO DO CAN'T believe it:P

I wish I were there....but first I have to finish with my studies-.-

Cheers to you dude =D hahaha anyways, i've been both in Canada and USA, I loved them both but i don't know why but I prefer U.S.A. but, it's just a personal thing.. I always loved north america and I had the confirmation when i went there lol

I had the confirmation non se pò sentì... <_<

Thank you for explaining this but (I'm ignorant in grammar lol), but I am 100% sure that you can say "I'll go get..." My friend used to say to me all the time "let's go get".. or "Jordan, go get..." etc... :)

Yes, "go get" without "and" it's also permitted.

I fail to see how a grammar Nazi and his questionable lectures would encourage people to write here.

Man, shut the hell up and let everybody have fun. :P:

"Questionable"? :eh: Oh please...

Loup-garou[/color]' timestamp='1332291390' post='549320']

Man, shut the hell up and let everybody have fun.

Making mistakes is not funny... it's outrageous!

Jordanintheforum

I had the confirmation non se pò sentì... >_>

It's not incorrect: it's just formal.. e se proprio devi fare una correzione di stile evita di scrivere poi "nun se po sentì" che a sto punto io ti dico da italiano che "non se po senti", non si può sentire >_>

Jordanintheforum
Loup-garou[/color]' timestamp='1332291390' post='549320']

I fail to see how a grammar Nazi and his questionable lectures would encourage people to write here.

Man, shut the hell up and let everybody have fun.

You right! i made this topic just to let people have fun speaking english =)

P.s.:

anyways,

It's right in both ways BUT anyways is preferred because anyways is slang

http://www.wordreference.com/enit/Anyways

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110414012341AAm512s

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/anyway-any-way-or-anyways/

"Questionable"? :eh: Oh please...

Making mistakes is not funny... it's outrageous!

A person who corrects and lectures making mistakes is even less funny...

"Questionable" was a courtesy form. Most of your lectures so far are just plain wrong.

More to the point, correcting people when they try to speak in a foreign language and calling their mistakes outrageous is not helpful. It's very harmful. Acting this way, you're just encouraging people not to talk English, in fear of making mistakes.

The best way to help someone notice their mistakes and learn is using yourself the correct form. Do not lecture them, do not correct them, do not disturb the flow of conversion. Just talk with them and use the right forms. In time they will learn.

Loup-garou[/color]' timestamp='1332327922' post='549386']

"Questionable" was a courtesy form. Most of your lectures so far are just plain wrong.

Wrong? I don't think so. Go get an english grammar book and check by yourself.

Loup-garou[/color]' timestamp='1332327922' post='549386']

More to the point, correcting people when they try to speak in a foreign language and calling their mistakes outrageous is not helpful. It's very harmful. Acting this way, you're just encouraging people not to talk English, in fear of making mistakes.

The best way to help someone notice their mistakes and learn is using yourself the correct form. Do not lecture them, do not correct them, do not disturb the flow of conversion. Just talk with them and use the right forms. In time they will learn.

What part of "sense of humour" don't you understand? ;)

Relax honey...

Jordanintheforum

Loup-garou it's ok don't waste your time replying him or discussing with him..he's just an arrogant who wants to show To all he is The Master Of English. He's never gonna Say you "you right sorry"

Well, I have already wasted my time, so I'll just post it.

To is used to express purpose.

For is used to express function (of instruments, tools, devices etc...)

First of all, what you just said is nonsense. Purpose and function are synonyms.

Second, the doubt was about how using prepositions with verbs. Instruments, tools and devices are not verbs, they are nouns. They have nothing to do with the question at hand.

Can I use this glass to put there primroses in? (purpose)

What's this instrument used for?

For measuring blood pressure. (function)

In the first example, there is a verb (use) followed by an infinitive (to put).

In the second, there is a verb (used) followed by... nothing.

That is the reason you use to in the former sentence and for in the latter. Purpose vs function has nothing to do with it.

In fact, the first sentence can be written using for: "Can I use this glass for putting..."

And we can use to to express the function of an object: "This instrument is used to measure blood pressure."

Why that? Because the mistake in Divine's sentence has nothing to do with the preposition. It was the verb to be wrong.

For is the right preposition to use in all these cases. But, you can't have for followed by the basic form of a verb in English. You have to use the -ing form.

after verbs like go, come, run, hurry up, stay, stop the infinitive of purpose is sobstituted with and.

This rule is incorrect, as "Go get it", "I came to see you", etc. are all legitimate sentences.

It's substituted by the way.

I had the confirmation non se pò sentì... <_<

Again, it is a legitimate sentence. Type "I+had+the+confirmation" in Google and you'll get 338.000 results.

Jordanintheforum

@Loup-garou.. I love you hahahahahaha

Anyway,I'm totally agree with you when you said "More to the point, correcting people when they try to speak in a foreign language and calling their mistakes outrageous is not helpful. It's very harmful. Acting this way, you're just encouraging people not to talk English, in fear of making mistakes." . When I am with a person who corrects me all the time, I can't speak well (like now) because I feel like..i dunno... like blocked... lol

That's why I hate speaking in English with Italians. Since there's no actual need in using English with them, most of the time you just end up being corrected for your sentences or criticized for your accent by self-alleged experts.

On the other hand, when you use it with people you don't share another language with, no one really cares about grammar or pronunciation (unless you're talking with jerks). All that matters is what you're trying to say.

Back to the topic, I have only been to UK, so I don't know which country I'd like the most.

For God's sake, would you please stop quarrelling about grammar? This topic is filled with errors and so what? Let the folk have fun

{Didn't you notice that even the title is wrong?}

Jordanintheforum

UK is amazing but USA and CANADA are in my heart haha i've been in both countries and i felt in love with them <3

Loup-garou[/color]' timestamp='1332339903' post='549444']

First of all, what you just said is nonsense. Purpose and function are synonyms.

I am really not into the whole grammar argument... Just love writing some English posts in the Forum! Btw, what Altair was saying is not wrong. I do recognize not to remember the grammar rule about that, but - in terms of English usage - the sense of what he said sounds pretty factual to me!

Anyway I really do not care about this..

Loup-garou[/color]' timestamp='1332346009' post='549511']

I have only been to UK

Where have u been????? :love: I fu***ng miss the UK!!! Never been in Ireland, though... Lately I'd really fancy a Dublin trip tbh!!

Lol, if you guys want to complain about mistakes you should hang out in a message board where actual english-speaking people write.

You wouldn't believe the stuff you read there.

Btw, I agree with Loup-Garou, though I have to admit I have the bad habit of correcting people sometimes...I also do that in italian though so I'm a pain in the ass no matter which language I'm using.

The amazing thing about english though is that aside from some glaring mistakes it's a very flexible language, you can get your message across even stumbling a little bit, it's okay.

And no actual person who's an english mothertongue will ever fault you for having a bad accent, or making mistakes: considering how much they usually know of a foreign language, they're impressed we can actually form english sentences at all, ehe.

[edit] I do love using the word 'though', don't I?

@Loup-garou

All the examples were taken from a english grammar book.

Do you think you know english better than a native english speaker who wrote an english grammar book? :D

Jordanintheforum

Maybe you don't get what we mean, right or not, you are annoying us with all your corrections.. i opened this topic just for fun not for improving our english. I called this Let's talk english, not let's improve our english. Please relax and just have fun.